When you think about Brasil, maybe Baia do Sancho is not your first idea when you try to think on a beach. Probably you are thinking of Ipanema or Copacabana. That’s a very narrow knowledge about the huge diversity that this country in South America has to offer.
Baia do Sancho is a world heritage according to UNESCO, offering a rich ecosystem like a few others you can find in the world. This 2020 it was chosen by the Travellers Choice Awards like the world top beach among other 24 fantastic places.
Where is Baia do Sancho
Located in the Fernando de Noronha archipelago (21 islands), is a privileged place (545 km from Recife) in the State of Pernambuco, and lies 350 km (271 miles) off Brazil’s northeast coast. The tiny population of 5,000 people enjoys the rich natural life surrounding them.
How to arrive at Baia do Sancho
You can take one of the daily domestic flights that go from Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Recife, Natal, Maceió, Belo Horizonte, Salvador, and Aracaju. You must know that only 450 to 500 people per day are allowed to visit the place, to conserve the delicate ecosystem.
Do I have to pay to enter Fernando de Noronha?
Yes, there’s a taxa de preservação ambiental (environment preservation tax) which starts at around R$45 (US$14) and may increase depending on how long will you stay there. Also, there’s a taxa ecológica (ecological tax) that you pay if you enter the island’s national park, so consider this.
You can check more information about this on the official government website of Fernando de Noronha.
What can you do in Baia do Sancho?
Baia do Sancho is the most popular place in the world for diving, where you can observe turtles, colorful fishes, and stingrays. Also, you can walk around the paths of Elizabeth’s garden, a true gem of nature.
Tips from travelers
- The best moment to visit is from April to June.
- It’s a must carry your mosquito repellent.
- Be prepared in case your flight gets delayed, because of the rain.
- Take cash with you, just in case.
The top 25 beaches
According to the Travellers Choice Awards 2020 of Tripadvisor, this is the complete list of world top beaches:
- Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brasil.
- Grace Bay Beach, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands.
- Playa Paraiso, Cayo Largo, Cuba.
- Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Islands of Sicily.
- Prainhas do Pontal do Atalaia, Arraial do Cabo, Brazil.
- Seven Mile Beach, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman.
- Eagle Beach, Palm/ Eagle Beach, Aruba.
- Flamenco Beach, Culebra, Puerto Rico.
- Varadero Beach, Varadero, Cuba.
- Kleftiko Beach, Milos, Cyclades.
- Siesta Beach, Siesta Key, Florida.
- Radhanagar Beach, Havelock Island, Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Luskentyre, Isle of Harris, Lewis and Harris, Outer Hebrides.
- Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Balearic Islands.
- La Concha Beach, San Sebastian – Donostia, Spain.
- Saint Pete Beach, St. Pete Beach, Florida.
- Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres.
- Maho Beach, Cruz Bay, St. John.
- Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.
- Woolacombe Beach, Woolacombe, United Kingdom.
- Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece.
- Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, Whitsunday Islands.
- Cala Mariolu, Baunei, Italy.
- Balos Lagoon, Kissamos, Greece.
- Black Sand Beach, Vik, Iceland.